Thursday, June 19, 2008

Riding it Out!

I was led to write this post after reading Single Ma's post Holding Pattern.

During my last semester of undergrad, Fall 2006, I was actively interviewing in preparation to starting my career once I graduated. Eventually, I found a position that I believed would fit perfect with my goals, aspirations, and interests. It was a position in real estate finance. I went through the first round of interviews, and later was called to participate in the second round. I eventually made it through the third round where I was told by one of the executives I was one of the top three considered for the position. I was eventually given a verbal offer, but a formal job offer would not be extended until the company completed its budget for the fiscal year of 2007. The position was part of a management training program in which the number of positions offered was established by the budget. Unfortunately, the region I had applied to work in had not been allocated any funds for the position I had applied for. Probably because the company saw the direction in which the financial markets, especially those related to real estate, was headed.

Two months after graduating, I was still an intern and desperate for a full time job and eventually settled for a job which I was merely interested in. Let alone the petty salary I was offered. I made the big mistake of not counter offering (advise given by an acquaintance), and later finding out they had budgeted much more for the position. Things only got worse as the construction industry deteriorated in South Florida, and guess what industry I was working in? Construction! Yet, I stayed there not wanting to start job hopping and performed! I was given bonuses even through times when payroll checks started bouncing. The feeling of you get when finding out your payroll check was returned for insufficient funds is not very pleasant. Thoughout all of this I was actively seeking employment and had a very successful interview where again was verbally offered a position and later the executives decided to hire from within. I would have received almost a 28% salary increase.

In late February of this year I was finally laid off, after a little over a year working there. Though a little worried (I had a newborn at home) I knew my ability and competence (though lacking experience). After about a week without a job, the VP of the old company called me telling me he wanted me to go with him to a new company (he left also). With bills around the corner, I interviewed with the CEO of the new company and felt great chemistry. Though again in the field of construction, I needed a job. Just because we had great chemistry did not mean I should've accepted the job offer and weighed my options. With not many options I accepted the offer. Though not as bad as I thought it would be, I'm still here several months later.

So I have a year to go to complete my MBA in Real Estate Development. I'm here waiting, trusting in God, riding out the economy and poor job market. Some economists are predicting the economy will bounce back in 12 to 18 months, if true I will be graduating just as the market will be turning around. I am willing on going global as well since there are great opportunities overseas. I have been performing extremely well in such an intense MBA program and know I will be able to perform in my real estate development career. I am just looking at my past and current employment as a stepping stone since I realized there are many transferable skills. I am learning as much as possible in order to prepare for future success.

That being said, I am in great need of a mentor right now. I've realized that possibly a mentor would have helped extremely in the past. Or maybe all of this has just been God's will all along. I will continue networking as much as possible, acquiring skills, and performing to the best of my abilities.

No comments: